Position : Program Officer
Number of position :1
Duration of the contract : 1 year
Based in : Dhaka
Reporting to : Head of Programs or Designate
American Red Cross, Bangladesh delegation (PNS) of The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is seeking a Program Officer to support the American Red Cross Bangladesh Delegation office in Dhaka.
Providing support to the Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) and Cyclone Preparedness Programme (CPP) program team in implementing activities in all aspects and ensure good program quality. The incumbent will work closely with Head of Programs and Country Representative and collaborate closely with BDRCS/CPP/IFRC program team in all the program locations.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Program Officer will provide essential support to BDRCS/CPP/IFRC in implementing /facilitating/ documenting disaster preparedness works in all of its program locations. The key responsibilities will be to provide reporting and implementation support to the program team of BDRCS and CPP at local level to improve accountability and support to address needs of community populations in line with BDRCS/CPP mandates and procedures. The position will be responsible for coordination of field activities and engagements with communities and supervision of field activities as per instructions provided by BDRCS/ CPP/ IFRC teams.
- The Program Officer is expected to maintain a respectful, courteous, accountable and transparent working relationship with the community members and all members of the BDRCS, CPP and IFRC offices.
- To assist BDRCS/CPP/IFRC/American Red Cross in documentation of case studies, stories, visibility, etc. and to assist in profiling good practices and lessons learned
- Develop communication materials in coordination with program team and BDRCS/CPP/IFRC/American Red Cross communications team
- Assist in coordinating, monitoring, developing/updating proposals and plan of action, strategies, reporting and all other aspects of the Enhancing Institutional and Community Preparedness and Readiness in Coastal Bangladesh/Coastal Disaster Risk Reduction program
- Providing technical input/support to the BDRCS/CPP/IFRC/American Red Cross in the implementation and successful delivery of program activities to attain the programs purpose and goals
- Assist BDRCS’ Coastal Disaster Risk Reduction program team for any requirement as per demand of the program
- Provide support to maintain liaison and coordination with other stakeholder and Government and other relevant DRR agencies
- Conduct field visits as assigned and conduct monitoring visits to relevant coastal DRR activity sites in the field
- To maintain a regular flow of information on the program to the BDRCS/CPP/IFRC/American Red Cross program team
- Support the information management of the American Red Cross/BDRCS for the program
- To assist in the training (on-the-job) the BDRCS Unit/program staff on program related matters like narrative reporting, program preparation, implementation and management.
- To facilitate the process of IEC materials development and dissemination, evaluation at field level.
- To assist BDRCS/CPP/IFRC/American Red Cross in design/organize/participate in planning training, workshops, meetings, etc. and assist in preparation of meeting minutes, workshop proceedings and documentation.
- To assist in interpretation in meeting, community discussions, where necessary make translations of documents from Bangla to English to vice versa.
- To organize field visits of back donor and evaluation missions in close coordination with the Head of Program or Country Representative.
- To implement/maintain BDRCS/CPP/IFRC/American Red Cross standards practices in disaster management activities.
- In the event of disaster, assist/support the Federation DM team in assessment, planning, implementation and coordination of relief operations as directed by American Red Cross Country Representative and Head of Program
- Carry out any other program related task as advised by the line manager
The position will give the incumbent extensive experience in providing technical support particularly in facilitation of trainings, and implementation and monitoring of program activities. The incumbent will be required to promote equity, social inclusion and transparency at all times. The incumbent should have computer literacy. The incumbent will recognise the importance of developing and maintaining respectful relationships with colleagues, partners, all stakeholders and the target populations. At the same time, the incumbent is determined to achieve quality outputs.
The incumbent must actively work towards the achievement of the American Red Cross’s goals and must abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross/Red Crescent principles.
The incumbent should have a positive mind-set and motivation to work with professional and committed team members.
Graduate degree in a field related to development, preferably social science and disaster management background
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience and skill in implementation of community based DRR
- Experience and skills in facilitation
- Experience in working with local communities, guest communities (camps), civil society, partners, LGIs and governments officials
- Experience of working for a humanitarian or development organisation and/or the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement
Knowledge and Skills:
- Interest and skills in supporting and contributing to staff development
- Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, Word, internet)
- Security awareness and regulation
- Able to influence, communicate, co-operate and negotiate with a wide range of people and organizations
Salary Range: Depends on experience
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit a full CV and cover letter via e-mail on or before Sunday, 13th October, 2019. Please state your expected salary in the CV.
To apply via e-mail:
Subject: Application for Program Officer/*your name*
Please note that this position will close on 13th October, 2019. However, IFRC reserves the right to fill the role prior to the advertisement end date. As such, candidates are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organisation. The IFRC Country Office in Bangladesh has worked alongside the Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) for more than 30 years in humanitarian fields including disaster management, with a focus on the cyclone early warning and response programme in the coastal belt, and disaster preparedness and response during natural disasters.
American Red Cross is working in Bangladesh as an integrated partner of Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) and IFRC to support the humanitarian efforts of BDRCS.
The IFRC is an equal opportunity employer